Shirley Lynn has been sharing joy through music since before 2010 when she began to step a path on her journey as a songwriter and performer. With a writing style that is lyrical, rhythmic and melodic, Shirley’s songs have told stories, explored perspectives and shared thoughts and feelings with meaning, keen observation and introspective views. She has written about love, life and her Tropical North Queensland home. Over the years gigging in and around Cairns and beyond at festivals, venues and events she has performed solo as Shirl, in the Silktones duo and Blue Tonic band mixing it up with both cover songs and originals. Shirley has been supported by Regional Arts Development Fund with two grants funding her music initiatives and she has been the recipient of multiple awards for songwriting.
“Life’s about the Little Things” recorded by Carter and Carter is a song collaboration including Shirley that won two awards at 2018 Tamworth Songwriters Association Salute Awards – Contemporary Ballad and Country Song of the Year. “My Kind of Paradise” was awarded 2015 Best Song in Max T Barnes Cairns to Nashville Song Competition, 2016 Award at Australian Songwriter’s Conference and 2013 Song of Carnivale. In adult contemporary style, she draws from a broad repertoire of songs covering many eras crossing over to country, country blues, folk, pop and light rock material self-accompanied on guitar with occasional ukulele and harmonica.
Song lists can be customised for any occasion. With a repertoire that is constantly expanding, new material gets added and set lists rearranged.
As an example, a selection of songs are already covered by the following artists…
Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Passenger, George Ezra, Bon Ivor, Angus & Julia Stone, Kasey Chambers, The Waifs, Dolly Pardon, Jimmy Buffet, Jason Maratz, Vance Joy, Imelda May, Katie Melua, Cindy Lauper, Lucinda Williams, Tracey Chapman, Marianne Faithful, Fleetwood Mac, Divinyls, Paul Kelly, Cold Play, The Church, INXS, The Beatles, Eagles, Muddy Waters, Old Crow Medicine Show, Johnny Cash, Sam Cooke, Bill Withers, Van Morrison, Steeler's Wheel and more...
Influences have included:
Kasey Chambers, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Olivia Newton John, Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Kristina Olsen to name just a few.
Highlights for Shirley Lynn Music:
* Cairns Reef Casino, Opening for Kellie Knight & the Daze – 2015
* Opening for Max T Barnes – Atherton International Club – 2015
* “Take on Today” – Rebeka Rain & Shirley Lynn 2015
* Songwriters on the Waterfront, The Hilton 2012 - 2016
* Australia Day Big Breakfast – Palm Cove – 2015
* Cairns Esplanade - Regional Council Gigs – 2012 – 2015
* Resonate – The Grand - 2015
* Tanks Unplugged with Chris Wighton - Clarketown & Leanne Tennant CD Launch – 2014
* “Liberty” CD Launch 2014
* "Sea Turtle Quest" recorded at Tonic Sound
* Fitzroy Island Sea Turtle Hospital Opening
* Tablelander Showcase - The Locals Ball - Atherton – 2013
* Queensland Music Festival "Song Trails" - Tully – 2013
* "It's About Time" CD Launch 2012
* Tablelands Folk Festival
* Tamworth Country Music Festival
* Palm Cove Reef Feast
* Yorkeys Festival of the Knob
* Mission Evolve Festival
*2018 - Tamworth Songwriters Association Salute Awards - "Life's About the Little Things" - Contemporary Ballad and Country Song of the Year.
* 2016 - Australian Songwriters Conference Awards - "My Kind of Paradise" "Sea Turtle Quest" "Life's a Great Adventure"
* 2016 – RADF grant to attend Australian Songwriters Conference – Ettalong Beach
* 2015 Best Song–Max T Barnes Cairns to Nashville Song Contest
* 2013 – RADF grant to create video - "My Kind of Paradise"
* 2013 - Song of Carnivale
* Cairns Post Hit Awards Nominee 2013 - 2015
Venues played at include:
* Elixir Tapas Bar and Grill - Cairns
* Apres Beach Bar and Grill - Palm Cove
* Cairns Domestic Terminal
* Mondos Café Bar and Grill – The Hilton, Cairns
* Irish Murphy’s – Hobart
* Hog’s Breath Café – Tamworth
* Post Office Hotel – Tamworth
* Hog’s Breath Peel Street Stage - Tamworth
* McGintys Irish Bar – Cairns
* Strait on the Beach – Holloways
* Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
* Palm Cove Surf Club
* Palm Cove Tavern
* Cairns Show Pavilion
* Botanical Gardens and Tanks Precinct
* Hartleys Crocodile Adventures - Cairns
* Barron River Hotel _ Cairns
* Canopy Gallery - Cairns
* The Tanks - Edgehill
* Tablelands Music Lovers Shed – Atherton
* Royal Hotel - Herberton
* The Jack Hotel - Cairns
* The Grand Hotel – Cairns
* The Railway Hotel - Cairns
* Holloways Sporting Complex - Cairns
* The Cock and Bull - Cairns
* The Balaclava Hotel - Cairns
* Raintrees Tavern - Cairns
* Balcony TV at Shangrila
* 12 Bar Blues - Cairns
* Bernie’s Piano Bar - Cairns
* Cooktown Bowls Club
* Relay for Life
* Duchene Foundation – Racing for a Cure
* Trinity Beach State School – Ma Baker’s Tonic & Tropicarnivale
Got any ideas or suggestions on how we can improve your EntertainmentCairns.com online experience? We value your feedback.
Found something that doesn't look quite right or work the way it should? Report a bug.